Q: WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I FIND AN ANIMAL?
You should call the shelter at 765-653-1943 and schedule an appointment to surrender the animal.
If you find a lost pet, it is important to attempt to find the owner before keeping the pet permanently or adopting to another family.
- Check our Facebook page as well as local shelter/rescue pages. You may also post the animals picture here to advertise that he/she was found.
- The Hoosier Topics and Banner Graphic post free ads for lost and found pets.
- Post signs in your neighborhood.
- Take the animal to a vet or groomer to see if the pet has a microchip. You may also have the chip read at Rescued Treasures.
If you decide to look for a new home for the animal, we suggest that you consider the following:
- Ask if they have other pets. If so (or if they once did), ask for the name of the veterinarian to insure that the family takes care of them. Call that office. Also, ask what they would do if other pets in the home do not accept this new member of the family.
- If they have never had a pet, make sure they know the costs and responsibility in owning one.
- Request that they take the pet to a vet for shots and examination within a week.
- If the pet is not spayed or neutered, make sure the adopter intends to have this done as soon as possible and recommend the contact us immediately if they need assistance.
- Be sure to tell the potential adopter any of the pet’s behaviors and needs you have discovered.
- Make sure you have contact information for each other.
- Be sure to explain how you acquired the pet so that the adopting family cannot blame you for theft or withholding information about future behavioral or health issues.
Q: WHY DID THE SHELTER CLOSE?
Many factors contributed to the closure of the shelter, but these factors ultimately boiled down to a financially unstable future. Rather than continue to accumulate debt, the HSPC decided the most responsible reaction would be to close the shelter until proper funds could be ensured.
Q: HOW CAN I HELP?
We’re glad you asked! There are many ways to help out. You can volunteer at Rescued Treasures, donate goods or money, or host your own fundraiser! The possibilities are endless.